ClickCease How Long After a Car Accident Can I File a Claim?

How Long After a Car Accident Can I File a Claim?

How Long Do I Have to Inform My Insurance Company That I Was in a Car Accident?

The timeframe a car accident victim has to notify their insurance providers of the accident completely depends on the policies of individual insurance companies. However, most companies require their clients to inform them of the accident as soon as reasonably possible. It is always in the best interest of the victim to notify the police and their insurance companies of the car accident as quickly as possible.

Our DC car accident lawyers at Regan Zambri Long PLLC can help you secure compensation to cover the costs of injuries following a car accident. Call today for a free consultation with a seasoned car accident lawyer who can help you navigate the claims process.

Contact Us Today to Schedule
a Free Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

5 stars

What Is the Statute of Limitations on Car Accident Claims?

It is important to understand the distinction between notifying your insurance company of a car accident and filing a personalBicycle Accident Attorneys injury claim for a car accident. For every personal injury claim, there is a statute of limitations, which is a time limit for which the car accident victim can file a lawsuit against the person responsible for the accident. In Washington DC, the statute of limitations to file a claim for a car accident is three years. This means, the victim only has a three-year window to file a claim against the other driver.

While this may seem like a long time, if the victim has extensive injuries, it is likely that medical bills will start piling up just months after the accident. Hiring a Regan Zambri Long car accident lawyer quickly is your best chance at securing the maximum amount of compensation so you are not financially overwhelmed by the sudden medical bills. Additionally, if you wait to file your claim and miss the deadline, you will no longer be eligible to collect compensation for your injuries from the accident. A Regan Zambri Long car accident lawyer will be able to ensure all the necessary paperwork is filled out correctly and in a timely manner.

No-fault Car Insurance

Washington DC is one of the 12 jurisdictions in the United States whose citizens carry no-fault car insurance. No-fault insurance means that if you are involved in a car accident, you will file a claim with your own insurance company first. However, when your injuries are severe or even permanent, you may file a claim against the other driver’s insurance provider for additional monetary coverage.

The burden of proof is on the claimant (the victim who is filing a suit against the other driver) after a car accident. You must prove that the other driver’s negligence directly resulted in the crash. Reach out to a Regan Zambri Long car accident lawyer today to receive expert legal strategies on how to move forward with your case.

Contributory Negligence Laws

DC is one of only a handful of states that practice contributory negligence law, which restricts the claimant from filing a personal injury suit if they contributed to the accident in any way. For example, you may file a claim against a driver who was impaired at the time of your accident. However, if it is found that you were also speeding at the time of the accident, the judge or jury may decide you contributed to the crash and dismiss your claim.

Our car accident lawyers at Regan Zambri Long understand the stress a car accident can put on an individual and their loved ones. We will not only handle the responsibility of the time restrictions for your claim, but we will also work to prove that the accident was in no way your fault. Reach out for your free consultation and let us help you secure the compensation you deserve.

Schedule a Free Consultation

Have you or your loved one sustained injuries in Washington DC, Maryland or Virginia? Regan Zambri Long PLLC has the best lawyers in the country to analyze your case and answer the questions you may have.

Call 202-960-4596

  • Please do not send any confidential or sensitive information in this form. This form sends information by non-encrypted email, which is not secure. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Back to Top