ClickCease Death From a Car Wreck in Washington, DC: What Should I Do?

Death From a Car Wreck in Washington, DC: What Should I Do?

5 stars

Many of us spend time in our cars every day. What we may not think about is the inherent risks we are taking when we hit the road. Whether you’re a passenger, driver, pedestrian, bicyclist, or more, your lives and the lives of your loved ones can be changed forever in an instant.

According to the NHTSA, fatal car accidents are unfortunately increasing in frequency. In the first half of 2021, 20,160 people died in motor vehicle crashes, an increase of 18.4% over 2020 fatalities. The agency reports that’s the “largest number of projected fatalities in that time period since 2006.

If you have lost a loved one to a fatal car accident in Washington, DC our car accident lawyers can help. Do not try to get justice on your own. At Regan Zambri Long PLLC, our fatal car accident attorneys have been helping families who have lost loved ones for more than 100 years combined, and we are passionate about using our experience to help you get what you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.

Wrongful Death Lawsuits

If you have lost a loved one in a car wreck in Washington, DC, you should reach out to an experienced fatal car accident lawyer immediately. An attorney can help walk you through the process of how to recover compensation as a surviving family member. A Washington, DC car accident lawyer can help you understand the laws around wrongful death as well as identify what damages you may be owed.

There is a wrongful death statute of limitations on fatal car accident cases, so do not delay. Your lawyer will help ensure you do not miss your deadline to file a claim.

Who Can Sue in a Fatal Car Accident?

Typically, a wrongful death lawsuit is filed by the family of the deceased. In Washington, DC a claim will be filed by the deceased’s estate on behalf of the spouse or domestic partner. If the lost loved one did not leave behind a spouse or domestic partner, their next of kin would be able to seek compensation. This can include parents, children, siblings, and other relatives depending on the case.

If the claim is successful, any monetary damages would be paid to the deceased’s estate. The estate would then distribute the amount per the deceased’s will.

What Am I Owed After a Loved One Dies in a Car Accident?

Losing a loved one greatly impacts the lives of surviving family members. From left behind medical bills to lost income to supportProfile of Sal Zambri Personal Injury Lawyer any dependents, a fatal car accident can be complicated for the family of the deceased. Damages for surviving family members can range from economic to punitive if the at-fault driver was being reckless.

If you have lost a loved one in a fatal car accident, you may be entitled to damages such as:

For lost wages, the surviving family can in some cases recover the amount the deceased would have earned in the long-term through retirement. In Washington, DC, you will not be able to fight for any damages that include things like emotional stress or loss of love or affection. However, you will not be able to recover anything if you do not file your claim within the two-year window to do so by law.

Hire an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer

Fatal car accidents have serious and long-lasting consequences for the surviving family members. It’s important you do not try and recover on your own. An experienced fatal car accident lawyer can help you receive compensation that will help you as you grieve your loved one.

At Regan Zambri Long PLLC, our car accident lawyers have combined, more than 100 years of experience fighting on behalf of accident victims and their families. Contact us today to speak about the details of your case in a free consultation.

Schedule a Free Consultation

Have you or your loved one sustained injuries in Washington DC, Maryland or Virginia? Regan Zambri Long PLLC has the best lawyers in the country to analyze your case and answer the questions you may have.

Call 202-960-4596

  • Please do not send any confidential or sensitive information in this form. This form sends information by non-encrypted email, which is not secure. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Back to Top