ClickCease What Should I Do If I Was In an Accident with an Uninsured/Underinsured Driver?

What Should I Do If I Was in an Accident with an Uninsured/Underinsured Driver?

Car Accident Claims Are More Complicated When the At-fault Driver is Uninsured

When you thought a car accident couldn’t be worse, you find out the other driver doesn’t have insurance. This adds a new layer of worry to an already stressful situation. A car accident claim is much more complicated when the other driver is uninsured. The good news is that the car accident lawyers at Regan Zambri Long are experts in uninsured/underinsured motorist claims and have you covered.

Have more questions? The car accident lawyers at Regan Zambri Long are waiting to speak with you about your case. Call today for a free consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney who will listen to your story and be your legal advocate throughout the claims process.

Contact Us Today to Schedule
a Free Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

5 stars

What Steps Should I Take After a Car Accident with an Uninsured or Underinsured Driver?

Car Accident Crashes with uninsured motorists are complicated. The lawyers at Regan Zambri Long cn helpTake control of the situation with an uninsured driver by taking these four essential steps after a car accident:

  • Call the police: this is especially important if the driver is under or uninsured. The responding officers will generate a police report, which is crucial to your claim.
  • Seek medical attention: Not all injuries are visible right away. That’s why going to the doctor ensures your health and safety following a car crash. It also helps your accident claim, proving you needed medical care following the accident.
  • Call your insurance company: Report the accident to your insurance company. Remember – do not agree to any settlement or speak with an insurance adjuster without consulting a lawyer first.
  • Call an experienced car accident lawyer: Uninsured or underinsured motorist claims are complex. You’ll need an expert attorney who knows the legal system and your state’s laws to be successful in your claim.

What’s the Difference Between an Uninsured Driver and an Underinsured Driver?

When a driver is underinsured, it means they do not have enough insurance to cover the costs of an accident. Let’s say your accident resulted in $200,000 worth of damage, but the underinsured motorist only has $100,000 in coverage – that makes him underinsured.

An uninsured driver does not carry any insurance on their vehicle. According to a 2021 Insurance Research Council study, about 1 in 8 drivers were uninsured in 2019. Washington, DC, had higher rates of uninsured motorists than the national average, with 19.1% of its population driving without insurance coverage.

What Are Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist Coverage Laws?

Each state has different laws regarding insurance coverage limits for underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage. Regan Zambri Long practices in three jurisdictions: Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Let’s go through each state’s liability limits:

Washington DC Auto Insurance Requirements

DC adheres to a “no-fault” insurance policy, which means your insurance company will cover the costs of the accident regardless of who is at fault. The minimum coverage requirements are:

  • Bodily Injury Coverage: $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident
  • Property Damage Coverage: $10,000 per accident
  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident
  • Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $5,000 per accident with $200 deductible

Virginia Liability Coverage Requirements

It’s important to know that drivers can avoid obtaining car insurance by paying a $500 uninsured motorist fee. Virginia is an “at fault” state, which means you would pursue compensation from the other driver’s insurance company in the event of an accident. The state’s minimum requirements are:

  • Bodily Injury Coverage: $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident
  • Property Damage Coverage: $20,000 per accident
  • Uninsured Motorist Limit: $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident/$20,000 property damage

Maryland Liability Insurance Requirements

Like Virginia, Maryland is an “at fault” state for car accidents. Their coverage limit is similar to Virginia, as well, except for property damage:

  • Bodily Injury Coverage: $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident
  • Property Damage Coverage: $15,000 per accident
  • Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident
  • Underinsured Property Damage: $15,000 per accident
  • Personal Injury Protection Coverage: $2,500

Breaking Down Uninsured Motorist Coverage: What Does it Pay For?

Uninsured motorist coverage pays for the damages you owe after a car accident. Those damages can include:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost wages
  • Loss of earning capacity

While this coverage can help offset your costs, if the damage exceeds your policy, you’ll need the help of a personal injury attorney. The Regan Zambri Long car accident lawyers can file a claim against the negligent driver if your insurance plan doesn’t cover all your expenses.  Like a personal injury lawsuit or any other insurance claim, there is no average amount you can recover from uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.

DC Uninsured Motorist Fund

If you are a Washington, DC resident but don’t have uninsured motorist coverage, there is still hope. The DC Uninsured Motorist Fund is for pedestrians or passengers injured by an uninsured or underinsured motorist and need help with medical expenses and property damages. Tapping into the fund is at no cost to you.

How Do I Buy Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

Underinsured motorist coverage is required when purchasing your insurance plan in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Check your auto insurance policy to see if you have coverage. If not, it is a simple call to your insurance company to add protection to your plan.

What Is Automobile Insurance Stacking?

Stacking insurance is when you combine coverage limits for multiple vehicles. When you combine the limits into one higher limit, you’re offered greater protection in case you’re in a car or hit and run accident with an uninsured motorist.

Filing Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims: Everything You Need to Know

Uninsured motorist Lawyers at Regan Zambri LongFiling a claim is overwhelming, especially when you’re dealing with physical pain and emotional distress. Let’s break down how you’ll file your claim and how a Regan Zambri Long personal injury attorney can help:

Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer to File an Uninsured Motorist Accident Claim?

Legally speaking, no, you do not need a lawyer. However, in complex legal battles like uninsured motorist claims, your best chance at the highest compensation is if you have an attorney.

How Do I File an Uninsured Motorist Claim?

Your legal team at Regan Zambri Long will handle all the paperwork, ensuring it is correctly filled out and turned in within your state’s statute of limitations.

How Will My Lawyer Prove the Other Driver Was Negligent?

Your car accident attorney will build your claim showcasing the negligence of the at-fault driver through accident reports, witness testimony, photos, and medical records. We’ll demonstrate the link between the accident and your injuries, ensuring you receive fair compensation for medical expenses, pain, suffering, and lost wages.

Call Our Uninsured/Underinsured Car Accident Lawyer Today

If you’ve sustained injuries from an uninsured motorist, you don’t have to take on the claims process alone. At Regan Zambri Long, our experienced personal injury lawyers understand uninsured motorist laws and can fight for the maximum compensation you deserve. Schedule a free consultation today and take the first step to protect your rights.

Schedule a Free Consultation

Have you or your loved one sustained injuries in Washington DC, Maryland or Virginia? Regan Zambri Long PLLC has the best lawyers in the country to analyze your case and answer the questions you may have.

Call 202-960-4596

  • Please do not send any confidential or sensitive information in this form. This form sends information by non-encrypted email, which is not secure. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Back to Top