ClickCease Parents Curb College Drinking by Supervising Kids in High School
03/20/08   |   By

Parents Can Curb College Drinking by Supervising Kids During High School Years: New Study | DC Metro Area Personal Injury Law Bl

5 stars

Parents can help to reduce their children’s risk of problem drinking during college by keeping a more watchful eye on them during high school.  The finding is the result of new research published in a recent edition of Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy.

This latest study centers on a group of 1,253 male and female college students surveyed the summer before they entered college.  Researchers measured the students’ parental monitoring levels by interviewing them regarding drinking and curfew rules during high school, adult supervision, and the consequences they typically faced when they broke drinking rules in high school.  High levels of parental monitoring were associated with lower levels of both high school and college drinking.

Authors of the study note that previous research has linked parents’ disapproval of underage drinking to a lower risk of alcohol use, and that increased parent-child hostility has been tied to a greater likelihood of problem drinking.  They also note that although parents typically keep looser tabs on their children once they reach college, some continued level of monitoring may be effective in protecting them from risky alcohol use.

Previously on the DC Metro Area Personal Injury Law Blog, we have posted articles related to:

  • New Virginia penalties for underage drinking and driving
  • Spring Break safety tips for college students
  • Helpful tips for communicating with kids about drinking

For information about your legal rights, please click here or call the law firm of Regan Zambri & Long, PLLC at (202) 463-3030.

TweetLikeEmailLinkedInGoogle Plus Tags: Automobile Accidents, Child Safety

Regan Zambri Long
Posted In
Share This Article

Schedule a Free Consultation

Have you or your loved one sustained injuries in Washington DC, Maryland or Virginia? Regan Zambri Long PLLC has the best lawyers in the country to analyze your case and answer the questions you may have.

Call 202-960-4596

  • Please do not send any confidential or sensitive information in this form. This form sends information by non-encrypted email, which is not secure. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Back to Top