Car accidents are common, and they can occur at any time of the year. Several factors are responsible for causing an increase in car accidents. Accidents may be caused by drunk driving, drowsy driving, poor weather and an influx of visitors who are unfamiliar with D.C. roads.
How Can I Avoid an Accident During the Holidays?
- Plan ahead. Plan ahead to limit any surprises on the road. Ensure your vehicle is up-to-date with maintenance, check the weather before you leave on your trip, and know your route beforehand (or have your GPS ready). You should also keep emergency kits in your vehicle.
- Follow the rules. Follow the rules of the road. Many people are in a rush and don’t pay attention to stop signs, red lights, or their speed. With more people on the road, speeding and driving erratically can easily result in a car accident.
- Practice defensive driving. With additional traffic and snowy weather, it’s important that you stay alert while driving. Practice your defensive driving skills. Put the safety of everyone in your vehicle first by avoiding road rage and maintaining control of your vehicle.
- Remain alert. Never get behind the wheel if you’re too sleepy to function or if you’re impaired by alcohol or other drugs. If you still need to get somewhere, use a ridesharing service or public transportation, but never get behind the wheel.
- Limit distractions. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), sending or reading a text message takes your eyes off the road for five seconds. If you’re traveling at over 50 mph, that’s enough time to travel the length of a football field. Keep your full attention on the road ahead and leave your phone on silent during your trip.
Auto accidents harm pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists during this time of year. The Washington DC personal injury attorneys at Regan Zambri Long PLLC have experience with auto accident cases. Our attorneys can help you determine if you have legal options after an accident. Call us today for your free consultation.
Tagged auto accidents